Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, crowned Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing's Jason Anderson as the 450SX Class Champion following an electrifying race in Las Vegas in front of 39,509 fans. The 17th race of the season proved to be a milestone event for Anderson, as his fifth-place finish held off the hard-charging Red Bull KTM Factory Racing's Marvin Musquin who finished second at the Supercross grand finale and nine points behind Anderson.
Anderson battled from a sixth-place start in the Main Event to finish fifth and secure his first-career 450SX Class Championship in just four seasons, having previously won the Western Regional 250SX Class Championship in 2014. This title also marks the first 450SX Class Championship for Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing.
"We've put our whole lives into this, been riding dirt bikes for so long, to win this championship between me and my team, it's the most surreal moment of my life up to this point," Anderson said on the podium. "Man, I'm so happy. I was tested this year ... I'm just beyond words."
During a season with countless ups and downs, Anderson followed in the footsteps of former athlete and training partner of the sport's four-time 450SX Class Champion, Ryan Dungey. Anderson maintained the point lead since Round 2 in Houston, securing a spot on the 450SX Class podium in 11 races with four wins and a top-four finish in 14 of 17 races. Notably, he held a 14-point lead heading into the last race of the season ahead of Musquin whom also trains alongside Anderson.
Looking ahead to the off-season, Anderson will shift gears and continue training to prepare for the Monster Energy Cup in October 2018.
The 250SX Class took part in the action in Las Vegas as well, as Aaron Plessinger and Zach Osborne secured the Western and Eastern Regional 250SX Championship, respectively.
For official race results, please visit results.amasupercross.com.
450SX Class Results
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki
2. Marvin Musquin, Clermont, Fla., KTM
3. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrance, Calif., KTM
4. Christian Craig, Orange, Calif., Honda
5. Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna
6. Benny Bloss, Oak Grove, Mo., KTM
7. Weston Peick, Menifee, Calif., Suzuki
8. Dean Wilson, Clermont, Fla., Husqvarna/p>
9. Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., Yamaha
10. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Honda
450SX Class Championship Standings
1. Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna (356)
2. Marvin Musquin, Clermont, Fla., KTM (347)
3. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki (318)
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrance, Calif., KTM (285)
5. Justin Brayton, Mint Hill, N.C., Honda (275)
6. Weston Peick, Menifee, Calif., Suzuki (251)
7. Dean Wilson, Clermont, Fla., Husqvarna (208)
8. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., KTM (184)
9. Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha (181)
10. Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., Yamaha (177)