This weekend will see the town of Sant Julià de Lòria situated high in the mountains of Andorra host round six of the FIM Trial World Championship and also fulfill an important environmental project – KiSS Andorra. This is one of a number of events throughout the season that embraces and promotes the FIM’s Keep it Shiny and Sustainable campaign.
The Andorran Motorcycling Federation, who are previous winners of the FIM Environmental Award that is presented on an annual basis to recognise projects in this field, are committed to organising sporting events in a way that best preserves the environment. In order to achieve this goal an extensive list of provisions and measures have been implemented prior to this weekend and will be put into action during the competition.
These include the following key points that have been prepared where applicable in accordance with the FIM Environmental Code:
- Sections and surrounding areas selected and managed in coordination with the ministry of environment, including their preparation. Management of vegetation recovery via photo monitoring.
- Dedicated motorcycle washing area with managed drainage system.
- Highly visible and well segmented recycling points within the paddock.
- Distribution of recyclable bags to competitors.
- Environmental commitment letter signed by competitors.
- Environmental signage / public / competitor information in sections / paddock.
- Use of environmental mats / absorbent materials to protect the ground in case of spillage in the paddock, technical control area and in the sections.
- Noise control throughout the event, both in terms of the motorcycles and public address systems used for communication purposes.
- Environmental packs provided for the marshals and observers.
- Relay of information by radio / phone to reduce vehicle journeys.
- Properly prepared and managed facilities for spectators including the distribution of portable ashtrays.
- Zero print event – Results and documents to be supplied and shared electronically.
- Distribution of KiSS kits and Ride Green wristbands.
- Broadcast of associated environmental videos during the event.
- #KISSAndorra photo competition.
- Media activities to increase and promote KiSS projects with support from FIM Environmental Ambassador Takahisa Fujinami.
So please remember: Keep it Shiny and Sustainable!