This picture is impressive: several events used to welcome huge crowds at all times even since the beginning of racing, but it was particularly the case after the Iron Curtain closed Eastern Europe in the 50s and 60s. This picture was taken at the Sachsenring during an international event (with sidecars) in August 1957. Look at the spectators who are literally standing on the track. The East German Grand Prix would be held from 1961 to 1972. The rebuilt Sachsenring circuit is in use since 1998. It is much shorter, but still welcomes large crowds every year.
Text: Marc Pétrier – Photo: FIM/Maurice Büla collection